LOVELIER THAN BEFORE



Saturday 5 January 2013

Inspiration....and what to do with it



I never thought of myself as being particularly creative until quite recently. I was never very good at art at school, can't draw (the lady I had to draw in the interior design class I attended a few years ago would testify to that - she ended up looking like Sloth from 'The Goonies'!) and don't dress particularly trendily. All artists have to look a little bohemian, right?

But therein lies the problem. I never thought of myself as artistic. But that doesn't mean I'm not; something I've only just realised.

The feeling I'm about to describe is what I suppose you would call creativity - other people might be able to help me out on this - that feeling of being incredibly content and then having somehow 'woken up' from normal life, bursting with ideas.

It seems to happen to me when I've been to a new place, usually somewhere I've found beautiful in some way. It happens when I've been with certain people. After a film I've loved, Christmas, other people's parties, magazines, visiting a cosy home, a new purchase, the work of a designer, fairy-lights, finding beautiful books to pile together (hence the photo)....I could go on.

Until recently, I've often had that feeling but haven't known what to do with it. In the summer, someone told me that I needed to somehow get the creative energy out of my system and into my life, words that have really stuck with me.

So, I'm taking a tentative step forward by enrolling on an art taster course. The night before, I'll most likely start panicking that I won't be able to do it (or that I'll run into Goonies woman again) but something tells me that I've made a good decision this time. We'll see. Sloth artwork photos to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment