LOVELIER THAN BEFORE



Saturday 19 June 2010

Faith and hope in charity


I grew up in a lovely, friendly but run-down town. From the perspective of fashion, the shops there are completely low-end. But I love (and I mean love) shopping there every few Saturdays because of the amazing charity shops.

Yes, they smell; yes, they tend to have strange people in them (although that's part of the appeal for me! Some of the conversations!); yes, they are full of junk. But they also contain real treasures.

The things that adorn my home from a dusty old shop include a vintage glass sweet jar, an Art-deco round mirror, vintage blue liqueur glasses, a cream china jug used to water my plants....

....and now an ever-growing collection of vintage, all-white china. I'm collecting cups and saucers to use as table decorations for my wedding. I'll attach a photo of my two favourite finds. They were grimy and hidden away in the bottom of a cardboard box full of mismatched china but I brought them home, washed them til they were sparkling and just look how beautiful....

And they were 50p for the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment